Mystery Quest - A Knights Foundation Academy Novel

Mystery Quest - A Knights Foundation Academy Novel

Friday, April 13, 2007

Chapter 2 - Just Inside the Door

Private Blog Entry: Rita Logan Teen Detective

Most people in the Gateway City already know my reputation as a teenage crimesolver. Maybe that’s why Mrs. Alberta Cresswell, the owner of the haunted bell tower, asked me to take a look into some suspicious activity surrounding one of Gateway City’s most notorious landmarks. Of course, I didn’t tell Jordan and Kyle about Mrs. Cresswell’s request. That would take all the fun out of it. I don’t believe in ghosts but for some reason Kyle and Jordan bought my explaination about why I wanted to investigate. I thought they knew me better than that, but maybe I play things a little too close to the vest. At least, that’s what my parents say.


Chapter 2 - Just Inside the Door

Kyle Fillmore stumbled inside the large oak doorway of the Dark Tower and the consuming darkness triggered a fear that nearly took his breath away.

“I must be crazy following you in here,” he muttered, gazing intently at the even darker shadows at the corners of the room. He was immediately unsure of which direction to take and quickly looked to Rita for guidance.

“My form of craziness just seems to rub off on everyone, doesn’t it?” Rita whispered. “Kyle, you didn’t have to follow me in here. You could have stayed outside with Jordan.”

“You know what? I didn’t know I had an option. I’ll let you do your snoop thing. Then when you’re done, we can get the heck out of Dodge. I think a tall malt will settle my nerves... and your nerves too.” Kyle turned on his heels and headed for the door.

Rita rolled her eyes and whispered “my hero”.

“Hey, I heard that, ya know,” Kyle shouted from the other side of the room. To his surprise, he found this side of the door had no knob. He let out a little shreak of shock. “There’s no knob. How are you supposed to get out a door with no knob? Oh, no! We’re trapped.”

Kyle proceded to pound intently on the door screaming for Jordan who was somewhere outside talking to her boyfriend on her cell phone.

“We’re going to die in here,” he theorized. “Ten years from now they’ll find out bleached bones and wonder what happened to us.”

“We’re not going to die, Kyle.” Rita didn’t know what she was going to do with the ‘frady-cat. During his ranting, she had done a bit of exploring of her own.

“Did you find a way out?” he asked with a glimmer of hope in his voice.

Rita shook her head, then looked at him with that Logan glimmer in her eyes. “Nope. I found a way in.”

The wind whistled through broken windows like a mysterious omen.

“Cue the spooky music,” Kyle whispered. “We can’t get out so we might as well go further down the rabbit hole? Is that your theory?”

“Exactly.” Rita shined her flashlight through the interior door leading them farther inside the tower.

“That’s crazy talk.”

“That’s investigation.” Rita said as she walked forward.

“Why did I ever think sleuthing was cool?” Kyle mumbled.

***

As the two of them ventured through the door a mysterious figure appeared from the shadows wearing all black. He held a hand to his ear as he watched Rita and Kyle. His fingers pressed a nearly invisible com-link.

“Tell Grandmother that we have a problem. A couple of kids have come home to play.”

“Roger,” A faint voice replied.

The man quietly approached and followed Rita and Kyle through the now open door.

No comments: